The SSI’s premier event celebrating Calligraphy and Illumination. Displays, Demonstrations, Lay Members’ Exhibition, Lecture, Calligraphy Suppliers and more. Open to all.
Lay Members’ Day has been re-branded as CAPITAL LETTERS to represent its inclusivity for all levels of membership of the Society of Scribes and Illuminators, a welcome to the wider calligraphic community, and its venue in the heart of the capital.
The event will be held in the historic Great Hall at Kings College, with Lectures in the adjacent Edmund J Safra conference facility. This year there will be a large recreational area available for delegates to relax and refresh themselves during the event.
- The Daubney Lecture, given this year by Lieve Cornil (see below)
- The Lay Members’ Exhibition with commentary by Mary Noble FSSI
- SSI Advanced Training Scheme students showing a selection of their work to celebrate the completion of three years of intense study
- Calligraphy suppliers including the ever-popular Scribblers and others
- A variety of demonstrations of calligraphy related skills by renowned practitioners including Emiko Hashiguchi FSSI – Calligraphy with a Quill and Dr Manny Ling – Calligraphy with Brushes and Automatic pens. More demonstrations to be announced soon.
- The Society of Italic Handwriting
- Computer Workshops with David Bywater
- SSI Archives and Library displays
- SSI Sales
- Regional Group display by Calderdale Calligraphers
- East Surrey College demonstrating their marvellous work
- Raffle with great Calligraphy prizes
- Plus much more.
The Daubney Lecture
The 2020 Daubney Lecture will be given by Lieve Cornil, Director of the European Lettering Institute.
Lieve graduated from the Scriptorium de Toulouse in 1994 and continued her studies in the USA with Arne Wolf and Thomas Ingmire, and then moved to London to work as a freelance lettering artist for design consultancies and advertising agencies. In 2002 she moved to France and became the Director of the graphic design college, ECV Atlantique. In 2006 she returned to Bruges, Belgium and in 2009 set up Studio XII, combining her lettering design studio with a professional training programme in lettering and design. This led to the setting up of The European Lettering Institute which offers a long-term training and educational programme in written, drawn and digital letter design, open to all students or young professionals interested in developing their lettering skills.
Lay Members’ Exhibition
The 2020 Lay Members’ Exhibition commentary will be given by Mary Noble FSSI.
Mary Noble’s graphic design training at London College of Printing gave her a taste for lettering but it took Adult Education to introduce her to calligraphy. She subsequently took up teaching it, and the need to keep ahead of her students led eventually to achieving Fellowship of SSI and CLAS. She has written and co-written (mostly with Jan Mehigan) several calligraphy books, and continues to teach and work to commission. www.marynoble.co.uk
Mary has a special attachment to the Lay Members exhibition and tells us, “I still keep the first work I entered for Lay Member’s’ Day when a very new member, and recall the kind comments which encouraged me to continue.”
The exhibition is open to all Lay Members of the SSI, and it’s time to start working on your piece(s) – the deadline for entries is Friday 17th April 2020. You can enter more than one category, but each category only once. Certificates will be awarded to those whose pieces receive the most popular vote on the day.
This year in addition to the personal set subjects, there will be a category called COLLABORATION. This will allow small pairs, small teams and even Regional groups to submit a piece of work.
Click here for full details of Lay Members Exhibition Set Subjects.