BEYOND PAPER: LETTERING ON DIFFERENT SURFACES
Lay Members, Fellows and invited guests are all welcome to our first Skills and Ideas Day. It promises to be an action-packed day with lots to inspire everyone, so put the date in your calendar now!
A new incarnation of our Research and Technical Day, Skills and Ideas day will give everyone an opportunity to explore new ideas, and to get together with calligraphic friends new and old.
We are delighted to have Celia Kilner, Josie Brown and Susie Leiper FSSI as our speakers. They will be sharing their skills and ideas during the day – talking about and demonstrating lettering on fabric, board, canvas, wood and metalpoint.
Josie Brown will offer some historical background to and then introduce the skills involved in the ancient art of metalpoint with an illustrated talk in the morning. During the afternoon she will demonstrate some of those techniques, providing the chance to have a go with various different metals and tools on a range of grounds.
In the morning Susie Leiper will give a short illustrated talk, with plenty of time for questions, about lettering on both canvas and wood. In the afternoon she will lay out canvas, brushes and paints for participants to try for themselves.
Celia Kilner will be giving an illustrated talk in the morning showing examples of work using a variety of materials as the base for phrases and quotations. In the afternoon she will demonstrate some of the methods used and there will be an opportunity for participants to try their hand at cutting a mask.
The day will be a mixture of illustrated talks, practical demonstrations, and some hands-on opportunities to try things out for yourself with, of course, plenty of time to chat to each other over a leisurely lunch break.
In addition, we are excited to have on show the work of Study Day students of Ann Hechle FSSI and Cherrell Avery FSSI, with a chance to talk to them informally about the ideas they have developed.
An invitation is also extended to anyone attending who would like to bring along some of their own work to show and discuss informally.
We look forward to seeing you there!
- Mobile or telephone number
- Number of places booked and names of people attending
- Your chosen method of payment
- PayPal/Debit or Credit Card (preferred) – Please pay £18 here.
- Bank Transfer – please transfer £18 to sort code: 20-90-56 account number: 30579718 using the reference SID[your surname]. If you are paying from overseas, please ensure all bank charges are paid and the full amount reaches the SSI account.
- Cheque – made payable to The Society of Scribes and Illluminators posted to Nikolay Valchev, Flat 135, Westgate House, 661 London Road, Isleworth TW7 4DJ, enclosing your name and the name of other persons attending, your mobile or telephone number and email address (if you use one).